Charters - Resolutions Establishing Board Committees
Message and Policy Committee
Motion to: "Establish an interim Message Committee that will work to establish a clear
understanding of the Foundation's current policy positions; a briefing document specifically
tailored to the new NASA Administrator about these policy positions; and a framework for
the development, review and approval of all policies for the Foundation. In addition, the
Committee will deal with other urgent message-related or policy-related issues that require
response during the interim period as assigned by the Board or its Chairperson. This interim
committee shall consist of Rick Tumlinson (Chairperson), Bob Noteboom, Tony DeTora,
John Carter McKnight, Bob Werb and James Muncy, with participation by other individuals
as deemed necessary by the Committee Chairperson, and shall exist for 30 days or until a
permanent policy/message process is established."
Motion to: "Establish an interim Finance Committee that will work with the Executive
Director and Treasurer to establish a clear understanding of the Foundation's current financial
position, liabilities, and obligations, as well as to create a working budget for the coming year
and a framework for approval of ongoing expenditures and a mechanism for accurate
reporting and tracking of all finances for the Foundation. In addition, the Committee will deal
with other urgent finance-related issues that require response during the interim period. This
interim committee shall consist of Shubber Ali (C hair), Bob Noteboom, Bill Boland and
Denise Norris, with participation by the Treasurer and Executive Director, and shall exist
until a permanent committee is established following the 60-day review period."
Motion to: "Establish an Operations Committee to deve lop, implement and oversee
operational objectives for the Foundation. The Operations Committee shall develop and
implement specific procedures relating to the day to day operations of the Foundation;
Committee membership shall include the Executive Director and/or President, Treasurer
and Secretary and at least one representative of the Board of Directors."
Motion to: "An Events and Projects Committee of the Space Frontier
Foundation be established to:
- Evaluate new and existing projects and assess each project's benefits to and
requirements of the Foundation, and recommend to the Board the nature of the
relationship proposed, including compliance criteria for each party.
Manage approved projects on behalf of the Foundation.
- Deliver a semiannual compliance review to the Board of Directors for each
- Receive and evaluate proposals for Foundation Events and assess their benefit
to and requirements of the Foundation for each occurrence of each event. At a
minimum, each proposal to be evaluated shall include a written description of
the project team, message, goals and objectives, date and location, and
- Manage the relationship with the conference team on behalf of the Foundation.
- Issue a joint Event After Action Report, together with the event team, to the
Board of Directors including assessment of goals and objectives, financial
results, team performance, and recommendations for improvement.
- The committee should, at a minimum, include one Board Member, a Founder or
Advocate of five years good standing or more, and a total of not more than
Motion to: "Establish a permanent Marketing Committee to develop, implement and oversee
(in conjunction with the appropriate Foundation officers,
committees and staff) programs to expand the Foundation's human,
financial and material resources.
The Marketing Committee shall:
1) design materials for fundraising and membership recruitment,
including individual and institutional support;
2) implement or oversee direct mail and electronic outreach campaigns;
3) develop and implement a speakers bureau program, including a
multimedia presentation and any training materials;
4) establish and maintain mechanisms for supporter feedback;
5) coordinate tables, speakers and membership/fundraising functions at
6) develop a grant application program;
7) support Board members, officers and staff in their efforts to raise
funds and recruit new members.
Members of the Committee shall include the President, Development
Director and at least three members of the Board."
Member Services Committee
Motion to: "Establish a permanent Membership Services Committee to develop,
implement and oversee (in conjunction with the appropriate Foundation officers,
committees and staff) programs to create value in Foundation membership and encourage
the retention of members. The Membership Services Committee shall:
1. Develop and implement membership feedback systems;
2. In conjunction with the appropriate staff, develop and implement membership
3. Coordinate membership-focused events, such as retreats and town halls;
4. Draft materials for communicating benefit information to the membership.
Members of the Committee shall include the Executive Director, the Advocates
Coordinator, the Membership Coordinator and at least one member of the Board."